Taiwanese Christian Church Council in Northern America (TCCCNA)
An Appeal for Justice and Peace on 515 Incident at Irving Taiwanese Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, Orange County, South California
“So stand ready…,with truth…,with righteousness,…to announce the Good News of peace. …Carry faith…to put out all the burning arrows shot by the Evil. …In prayer, asking for God’s help. …keep alert and never give up…” (Ephesians 6:14-18)
June 1, 2022
On May 15, 2022, Sunday, a heavily armed “Chinese” gunman suddenly opened gun and shot Taiwanese congregation and caused the death of a hero medical doctor, John Cheng who bravely held the gunman’s hand to prevent more shooting, and the injury of five elderly people. A note found in the murderer, David Chou’s car, wrote “Taiwan is an integral part of China”. Obviously, this is a violent political hate crime.
The Statement of Taiwanese Christian Church Council in Northern America is to condemn the violent hate crime, and to appeal to the follows.
(1) Irving Taiwanese Presbyterian Church for keeping strong faith in God. You are not alone. We, Taiwanese American and Canadian will pray for you. Your suffering, especially the sacrifice of brave Dr. John Cheng will not be in vain. The glory of God will shine upon you and the dream of a new and independent country, Taiwan will come true. Justice and Peace will prevail.
(2) The prosecutor, sheriff and FBI in Orange County, South California for making righteous Judge on this terrorist act.
(3) The government of United State for investigating the illegal Chinese organizations which are directly supported by the People’s Republic of China.
(4) The legislators of the USA for ending the unjustifiable “One China Policy”. Please, accept the reality that Taiwan is an independent country.
(5) The Human Right Committee for not being misled by the propaganda of reunification.
(6) The General Synod of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan for supervising the Taiwanese President, Tsai Ing-Wen not to obstruct the freedom of self-determination.
(7) The world church bodies for not to pamper the growing hegemony of China to oppress Taiwan.
(8) All Taiwanese people for continuing courageous fight for your human rights for self-determination, self-salvation and referendum on making your choice for the future of Taiwan that Taiwan is not a part of China. Taiwan is an independent Country. Taiwan is Taiwan. China is China.
(9) Those who live in Taiwan and identify themselves as Chinese for respecting Taiwanese ethnic identity. Prejudice and violence are not tolerable.
(10) The United Nations for reform. No nation should have veto power. The veto privilege is the source of injustice. Taiwan is the only independent country excluded from the UN due to the veto of China.
A paper regarding to Taiwan history is enclosed for your reference.
Ai-Lan Wang, Ph.D.,M.D.
Director, World Church Committee
Taiwanese Christian Church Council in Northern America
Address: 349 E. Northfield Road, Suite 106, Livingston, N.J. 07039